Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Perception of Calm

When we let our minds go free ..
the wildest dreams .. come alive..
giving us... the perception of calm


All of a sudden, the noise made me turn around. The small hissing noise was in my head, then it grew louder as I turned to look at the horizon.... searching for the source.

It had just rained …which seemed puzzling at the time. The sky was covered with semi-colored clouds, both dark and white, I heard rumbling noises, they were left over from the storm that had just passed and had drenched the landscape.

I saw light in the center of the sky that I mistook as a rainbow at first glance, but it was too bright to be a rainbow, the color of the light was intense and focused like a spotlight on a stage.

As I focused my sight, the light turned into a yellowish color with small specks of blue and white in the center that sparkled like glitter. The light was coming from the center of a band of dark clouds that were in the center of the sky.

I dropped my gaze back to the horizon, looking to concentrate on where the light was shining down...many miles from where I was standing.

The land was sandy and brown with green shrubs that dotted the landscape, The hissing sound then started to grow very loud like the sound of a machine that was beginning to warm and now was at full strength, ready to do its work.

Then I was amazed at the sight of the truck, no …it was a full size recreational camper... that was being lifted by the light. It floated upward very slowly at first, as if being drawn by a magnet, then seemed to gain speed as the sound of the hissing grew unbearable to my ears so that my first impulse was to cover them. I watched the truck, its green and white stripes on it's side and top start to spin as the light gripped its large frame like a toy in a child’s hand. It steadily rose in the sky, spinning faster and faster on it's journey thru the center of the bright light, sparkling as it passed the dark and light clouds that made the sight, with the hissing sounds and the different colors, a barrage to the senses. Frozen in my stance, all I could do was watch until the truck reached the source of the light, by then it had reached a fantastic speed so that it appeared to disappear when it reached the source of the light in the center of the sky.

The sound of the explosion and the bright flash in the clouds, brought me back to a sense of reality. At what I thought was a dream at the time... seemed very real. In my reaction to the sound of the explosion and the flash in the sky, all I could think of was run... run as fast as you can, it did not matter where.

As my feet started to move I could feel the sandy dirt where I stepped, causing me to slip, my mind was moving faster than my feet wanted to. I thought that I heard shouting, I looked up to see two men on a power pole, which made no sense to me at the time, because I hadn't noticed any sort of civilization. I hollered upward at them “did you see that?”. They were saying something I could not hear, because my ears were still ringing from the reverberating sound of the explosion, that bounced from one side to the other in my head.

I heard a whistling sound behind me that grew louder as I ran, then I realized what the two men on the pole were trying to tell me. When I turned to look at what was happening, the the landscape exploded like a series of bombs had been dropped in one huge mass, flattening the surrounding landscape, the hills that I had seen were gone. This brought forth an eruption of dirt and dust that grew into a huge brown cloud. I turned back to run in the opposite direction again, trying to tell my feet to move. I could see the fallout from the first explosion in the sky begin to rain down on the landscape ahead of me, I felt small burning embers, gray and hot on my skin. The smell was like burning paper that came from a fire someone had just put out, a combination of water, smoke and dust filled the air, making it both fresh and musky at the same time.

Again I looked up at the sky and it was a combination of a starry night and a bright day that switched back and forth as my eyes tried to return to normal. The stars were falling slowly towards the earth in a slow motion of sparkles and gray hues, it was beautiful to the eyes and scary to the mind. It was then that the dust cloud covered me, overwhelming my sight with a brown cloud that made me choke as the dirt went down my throat and into my nose. I came over a hill and spotted the small town, in my mind... I knew that I had been here before.

I ran toward the first building I saw, a small gas station that looked like it hadn't had a customer for a long time. As I came around the corner of the building I could hear the sounds of confusion and panic, people were running to and fro like ants on an ant pile, when someone steps into it.

Then I saw a man in a phone booth, I approached and I heard him say “don't try to scoop this story on me, I will get the credit on this”, his fingers were to fat to fit into the little holes on the dial as he excitedly tried to make a call

I shouted at him “what happened? Did you see that truck?” The words tumbled from my mouth like they couldn't wait for each other. Turning back toward the street, my eyes took in the full story of what was happening.

I was in a small town, on a main street that wasn't long in distance, but crowded with people that were looking at the sky, they were all trying to understand what had just happened. They were peering up at the sky with amazement and wonder... as the dirt, dust and burning embers that looked like stars ...drifted slowly to the ground, just slow enough to make everyone freeze in their tracks giving the perception of calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment